BEST SONG OF 2011
Yeah you did.
1. DESTROYER : KAPUTT
2. ZOMBY : DEDICATION
3. PANDA BEAR: TOMBOY
Even though the gang was real dismissive, its not even a grower or anything, it just is appropriate for the walk to work.
4. FORD + LOPATIN : CHANNEL PRESSURE
5. WITH MOTHS PROMISED OPUS
THINGS THAT WERE OKAY IN 2011
1. Tawa Intermediate school play "The Silk Road" and its eerie referencing of the Vietnam play in the film "Rushmore", also unbelivable amounts of dancing.1
2. Making dreams come true on the squash court. Backhand dreams.
3. Destroyer "Savage Night at the Opera" as a song title, and as an idea in general.
4. Watching the West Wing Seasons One to Four with Madeleine, it turns out Rob Lowe disappears from season four and the show is not really expressing it, but is really hurt by this plot development. So many emotions, but mostly regret.
5. Roxy Music Avalon following me around Wellington like a curse.
6. Nazi Tuesday, some real rippers but mostly really average films.
7. Massive commercial success, massive validation.2
8. Subterranean elevator, Whanganui.
9. This really serious boy in Sparkle Motion costume after five o clock at Victoria University, really worried that his Sparkle Motion team would miss their cue. It wasn't really cute, it had this unerring sense of middle aged fussiness/dull accountancy whit collar professional which was troubling for an eight year old, but it left a deep impression.
10. Two bottles of Henry Weston's Vintage Cider as a gift in one year, from separate people. Also two robes. Apparently cannot get enough of robes.
11. Not recording music all the time/Not listening to new music all the time.
NOT SO GREAT IN 2011
1. Backpack, low slung worn insouciantly with suit at AAAP conference. Worrying trend.
2. Endless orgies amongst Wellington friends, gets pretty stale.
3. Election 2011, even despite scoring the best try of my life on the day. It was so unbelievable.
4. Increasing inability to stay up past ten thirty.
5. Sam Stanley.3
6. Earthquake really messed up everything.
MOST VALUABLE PLAYER
MOST IMPROVED SIBLING
BEST WWII BOOK
"The Emperor of Lies" by Steve Sem Sandberg
1. American Gigolo
3. The Hidenberg
4. The Aryan Couple
5. Kick Ass
1. Tawa Intermediate's school play was in the Tawa Intermediate School Hall which was so unbelievably hot, I felt pretty sick after the show, this didn't detract from the show being really great. Everyone on stage was really enthusiastic apart from two kids, one of them a tall girl who looked like she was "really going through the motions" even though everyone else was at least pretending to care. It was pretty good. Like the most minimal effort possible, as if she had calculated the way to expend the least possible effort and was striving hard to exceed all her previous estimations. It was so good though.
2. Keep the dream happening, buy now
3. I keep my distance.